Thursday, May 24, 2012

Special Mother's Day

After my scary experience with not being able to breath in January and a couple nights in the hospital, I spent a lot of time thinking about my own mortality and the people I cherish most. I feel very fortunate at my age to still have a surviving parent, which in this case is my mother. Dad passed in 1999 and I'm still not over that. But anyway. My wife, Patty, and I talked about it and decided that I needed to see Mom more than once a year. So we figured the best time to make a solo visit would be the week of Mother's Day.

 The thing that made it even more exciting for me is that she lives in Venice, Florida. I figured I could tell everyone that I needed to make the trip to make sure she was ok and take care of any little chores she needed done. Well as it turned out I changed one lightbulb in the kitchen and put some silicone spray on the tracks of her garage door. The rest of the week was all mine.

I spent that time wisely fishing, lounging at the pool, walking the beach, and of course spending time with dear old Mom. I figured that now between my brother and I this makes me the good son!

I had a great time with her and loved every minute. I think it was kinda special for her to have someone there on Mother's Day as well. The only thing was I missed having Patty along, so I'm not sure if I will go without her again. Now before you think what a rotten person I am for leaving her home you need to know that we both go every year for about two weeks, this was an extra trip just for me.

The only down side was when our son picked me up at the airport he told us he had accepted a job promotion and is moving to Pittsburgh. It's bad enough we won't see him but my grandson sure will be missed!

I sure have gotten attached to that little man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment