A couple of weeks ago we got hit with a hail storm that left lots of damage all over the place. It's the first time I ever had to call the insurance to file a claim. Although I had no idea what to expect next, I am pretty surprised about the whole mess.
First it took the adjuster 2 weeks to get out here to check the damage, which I guess is understandable due to the number of homes that were hit during the storm. Except she had called me earlier in the day to postpone the appointment. So you can imagine my surprise when I get home to find her sitting in my driveway. All went well until she gave me a check for only about 2/3 of the estimate holding back "recoverable depreciation" for which I will be reimbursed as the work is completed. My question is what difference does it make how old the existing roof is, costs the same to replace whether it is 5 or 15 years old?
Next the check is made out to my wife and I, as well as the mortgage company. So I need to contact them to find out what the process is with them to get the check turned into repairs. well as we all know by now all I get on the phone is a machine! A week later, after sending them a fax, I get a response from them and now know what is needed to get the check returned.
When I call the contractor I had an estimate from, he informs me that he doesn't have the insurance that is mandatory for the mortgage company to release the check.
So now I need to find another contractor, get an estimate, make sure he has the necessary documentation so we can move forward.
Thanks Mother Nature. Wish it would all just go away!
Oh what a big, fat pain in the butt!
No comments:
Post a Comment