Monday, August 27, 2012

Is Retirement Right For You?

It's been a while since I've had anything worth while to post because I just been doing whatever. Nothing too overly exciting. Staying close to home for the moment. I really enjoy puttering around outside, but with the heat this year I was advised by the better half to stay in out of the sun. So of course since I always listen to her advice, that's exactly what I have been doing!

We recently had a charity event for The Carter Wish Foundation which was founded by our niece in rememberance of her son Carter. While eavesdropping on someone's conversation, which is a hobby of mine, after a lady saying that her husband went back to work after retiring for a while. Her statement was I guess he just isn't cut out for retirement. Which brings me to the question Is retirement for you?

Although finances should be considered, they should'nt be the determining factor. It isn't about not having anything to do. Trust me you can find plenty to keep you busy. The gentleman in the above conversation is a firefighter. He loved being a firefighter. So he went back to work and will undoubtedly stay until he is simply unable to perform his duties. That is great! If you love what you do, then by all means keep doing it. Not very many of us have been that lucky in our lives.

I can't tell you if retirement is right for you or not. What I can tell you is I have more time with my family and friends, I am now one of those old guys who just kinda hangs around and talks to everyone, I work a little(but only where and when I want), and I now dictate my schedule. I am not rich by any means and can't go everywhere but I now can go where I am able when I want (as long as the wife says it is ok).

The bottom line is- if you are able to retire and think you want to retire then go for it! You can always go back to work, but you will never get those years back if you don't retire.

Heading to Florida in about a month and a half!! Will let you know how it goes!

Later,
Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment